1g/1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
240g/3 carrots, finely chopped
210g/3 celery sticks, finely chopped
600ml vegetable or chicken stock
400g boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into chunks
2 x 400g / 14oz cans haricot beans, drained
100g/1 onion, finely chopped
10g/chopped parsley, to serve
Salt and pepper to taste
30ml/2 tbsp sunflower oil
5g/2 thyme sprigs or ½ tsp dried
1) Heat the oil in a large pan, add the celery, carrots and onion and fry for 5 minutes until soft. Remove from pan and set aside.
2) Add the chicken to the pan and fry until lightly browned. (You may need a little more oil)
3) Put the vegetables back in the pan with the chicken, stir in the herbs and stock.
4) Bring to the boil. Stir well, reduce the heat, then cover and simmer for 40 mins, or until the chicken is tender.
5) Stir the beans into the pan and simmer for 5 mins more.
6) Stir in the parsley and serve with buttery mash or crusty bread.