Simply follow our simply laid out recipe:
1) Sprinkle the aubergine slices with salt and leave on a rack for about 30 minutes to draw off any excess moisture.
2) Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
3) Dry the aubergine with kitchen paper. Heat a little of the oil in a pan and fry the slices, a few at a time, until golden brown.
4) Drain off the excess oil by putting the fried aubergine on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
5) Put four tablespoons of the tomatoes in the baking tray, cover with 4 slices of aubergine, then the mozzarella. Scatter over some basil and five or six tablespoons of Parmesan.
6) Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7) Repeat these layers again until the ingredients are used up, finishing with a layer of grated Parmesan.
8) Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden and bubbling.
9) Serve with crusty bread and salad.