2 x 400g tins jackfruit drained
1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp chilli powder or to taste
1 tsp smoked paprika
150ml vegetable stock
1 tbsp olive oil
50ml barbecue sauce
1) Pour the olive oil into a large frying pan and sauté the onion for a few minutes until soft.
2) Add the garlic and sauté for a minute longer.
3) Add the jackfruit, sugar and spices. Stir until the jackfruit is evenly covered.
4) Pour in the vegetable stock, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
5) Turn the heat up until all of the liquid is absorbed.
6) Turn the heat down and use 2 forks to shred the jackfruit until it looks similar in appearance to pulled pork.
7) Add 2 tablespoons of BBQ sauce to the pan and stir to coat.
8) Turn the heat back up and fry the pulled pork in the pan until most of the juices have dried out and it starts to brown. Turn regularly until it’s to your liking.
9) Serve in toasted buns with accompaniments of your choice.
Note: You can pop the seeds out of the Jackfruit before cooking if you don’t like the appearance of them. It’s not really necessary as they will shred, but it’s a bit fiddlier.