1) Slice the onions into half moons and separate the cloves from the head of garlic.
2) Slice the carrots into discs and line a baking tray with the carrots, garlic and half of the onions.
3) Sprinkle over the dried herbs and season with salt and pepper.
4) Place the chicken portions on top of the veg and add just enough water to come halfway up the chicken portions.
4) Sprinkle the rest of the onions over the top.
5) Put in a 150 °C or 350 ℉ for 1½ hours, serve once the chicken skin is golden and crisp
6) Just before the chicken is ready shred the cabbage and blanch for 2 minutes in boiling water.
7) Saute the chopped bacon until the fat runs out and then add the blanched cabbage and stir fry for a couple of minutes.
8) Serve the crispy chicken, onion, carrots and garlic cloves on a bed of the cabbage and bacon.