1) Trim the cardoons and boil them for 30-40 minutes in salty water with the juice of a lemon thrown in. This can be done up to a day ahead.
2) Slice the cardoons into 1/2 inch pieces. Slice the onion into half-moons.
3) Toast the pine nuts — watch them, as pine nuts go from toasted to burnt in a heartbeat.
4) Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions with some salt until just beginning to brown on the edges. Add in the cardoons and stir to combine. Let this cook for a minute or two. Add the dry white wine. Turn the heat up to high and boil it furiously.
5) Add the honey and stir to combine. Add the pine nuts. Let this boil down to a glaze. Turn off the heat and toss in the thyme and add some fresh ground black pepper. Toss well to combine and serve at once.