600ml/1 pint chicken stock
24g/2 tbsp coriander, chopped
8g/2 tsp ground coriander seeds
110g/4oz dates, pits removed
24g/4 garlic cloves, crushed
12g/2 tsp ground ginger
15g/1 tbsp clear honey
1.5kg/3¼lb boneless leg of lamb, cubed
70g/1 preserved lemon, rinsed, inner pulp removed
30ml/2 tbsp olive oil
24g/2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
450g/18 shallots whole, peeled
15g/1 tbsp tomato purée
15g/1 tbsp plain flour
1) Marinate the lamb with the ground coriander, saffron and a tablespoon of oil for 24 hours, covered in the fridge.
2) Heat the rest of the oil in a saucepan and brown the lamb all over. You may need to do this in batches. Remove from the pan.
3) Add the shallots to the pan and fry until golden. Add the lamb, garlic, flour and tomato puree. Stir well to coat.
4) Add the stock and bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer. Put the lid on and cook for 1½ hours or until the lamb is tender.
5) Add the lemon rind, dates and honey and stir well to combine. Cook for 10 minutes more.
6) Just before serving stir in the parsley and coriander.