1) Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
2) Put 2 carrots and the shallots into a baking tray and drizzle with the olive oil.
3) Bake in the oven for 45 minutes,
4) Meanwhile chop the remaining carrot and red onion in to pieces and add to a saucepan with the red wine. Turn the heat up and reduce to half the volume. Remove the vegetables and discard.
5) Meanwhile melt 20g of butter in a frying pan and sauté the mushrooms and garlic until the mushrooms are about half the size..
6) Remove the vegetables from the oven and chop the carrots into slices.
7) De-glaze the roasting pan over a low heat on the hob with a splash of brandy.
8) Add the mushrooms to a large pot with the chestnuts, roasted carrots, garlic and de-glazed brandy from the pan.
9) Cover with the red wine and stock, add the herbs and simmer for 30 minutes.
10) At this point remove the veg from the pot and reduce the sauce, adding the remaining butter as you go.
11) Add the veg back into the sauce, with the shallots and the smoked tofu, bring back up to temperature and simmer for a couple of minutes.
12) Take the pot off the heat and rest for 30 minutes, or longer if you can to really allow the flavours to develop.
13) Heat through before serving and thicken with a little cornflour mixed with a spoonful of the sauce if necessary.
14) Serve with tagliatelle (traditional) or mash, and green beans.