Simply follow our simply laid out recipe:
1) Preheat the oven to 170°C, Gas 3.
2) Melt half the butter in a flameproof casserole and fry the chicken pieces until golden. Remove and set aside.
3) Add the remaining butter to the casserole and sauté the onions for 3-4 minutes.
4) Add potatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes.
5) Return chicken pieces to casserole and mix with vegetables. Add water and cider.
6) Add bay leaves, salt, paprika and thyme, and bring to the boil.
7) Cover and transfer to oven. Cook for 1½-1¾ hours until tender.
8) Remove chicken and vegetables and arrange in a serving dish.
9) Mix cornflour with a little water and add to the juices in casserole. Bring to the boil, stirring, until thickened.
10) Pour sauce over chicken and serve.