Simply follow our simply laid out recipe:
1) Place the rosemary, thyme, bay leaf and cloves into cheesecloth and secure with cotton to make a bouquet garni.
2) Pat the veal shanks dry with paper towels to remove any excess moisture.
3) Season each piece with salt and freshly ground pepper and dredge in flour, shaking off the excess.
4) In a large heavy bottomed saucepan, heat the oil until smoking. Add the shanks to the hot pan and brown all sides, about 3 minutes per side. Remove and reserve.
5) In the same pot, add the onion, carrot and celery. Season with salt and sauté until soft and translucent, about 8 minutes.
6) Add the tomato paste and mix well.
7) Return the shanks to the pan and add the white wine and reduce liquid by half, about 5 minutes.
8) Add the bouquet garni and 2 cups of the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
9) Reduce heat to low, simmer with the lid on for about 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is falling off the bone.
10) Check every 15 minutes, turning shanks and adding more chicken stock as necessary.
11) Remove and discard bouquet garni from the pot.
12) Serve in individual dishes with tagliatelle and garnished with chopped parsley and lemon zest.