1.2 litres/2 pints chicken stock, heated with ¼ tsp saffron strands
1kg/8 chicken thighs, each chopped in half and browned
1.5g/¼ tsp dried red chilli flakes
300g chorizo, cut into thin slices
55g/18 small clams, cleaned
90g/1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
4 cloves garlic
125ml/4fl oz good olive oil
200g/1 large spanish onion, finely diced
110g/4oz pancetta, cut into small dice
6g/1 tsp paprika
20g/5 tbsp chopped parsley
110g/4oz fresh or frozen peas
320g/2 large red peppers, diced
Salt and pepper to taste
400g/12 jumbo raw prawns, in shells
450g/1lb squid, cleaned and chopped into bite-sized pieces
5 sprigs fresh thyme leaves separated
400g/4 large tomatoes, de-seeded and diced
570g arborio rice
125ml/4fl oz dry white wine
1) In a heavy-based saucepan or paella dish heat half the olive oil. Add the chorizo and pancetta and fry until crisp.
2) Add the garlic, onion and pepper and cook until softened.
3) Add the rice, and stir until all the grains of rice are nicely coated and slightly translucent. Now add the thyme and chilli flakes fry for a minute more then add the paprika and wine and when it is bubbling, add the chicken stock.
4) Add the chicken thighs and cook for 10-15 minutes.
5) Now place the clams into the dish making sure they are submerged. Add the peas and tomatoes and continue to cook gently for another 10 minutes.
6) Meanwhile in a separate pan, heat the remaining oil add the garlic cloves, prawns and the squid. Fry for a minute or two then add to the paella.
7) Scatter the chopped parsley over the paella and serve immediately.