Simply follow our simply laid out recipe:
1) To make the dough put the flour in a large bowl with a pinch of salt. Add the butter and mix in using your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs.
2) Add the vinegar, egg and rum and stir, add enough water for it to form a dough.
3) Altenatively you could make the dough in a food processor.
4) Knead the dough then wrap in cling film and refrigerate for an hour.
5) To make the filling, Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook for a few minutes until they are soft.
6) Add the rest of the filling ingredients and fry for a minute more.
7) Remove from the heat and allow to cool then fold in the cream cheese.
8) Cut the dough in half; put one half back in the fridge while you roll out one half to a large square. Approximately 30 x 30 cm. Cut into 6 squares.
9) Repeat with the second half.
10) Brush the edge of one square with water. Add 2 tablespoons of the filling mixture and fold over into a rectangle. Cut it in to a curved shape if preferred.
11) Seal the edges by pressing together with a fork.
12) Repeat with remaining squares.
13) Heat about 10 cm of rapeseed oil in a small medium sized saucepan or wok over a high heat. Check it is hot enough by dropping a small piece of bread in, it should sizzle and float to the top immediately.
14) Fry the pastels for about 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper. You will need to fry them in small batches.