2kg pork loin joint
1lt vegetable stock
8 shallots, peeled and halved
24 cloves of garlic, crushed in thier skins
3 tbsp salt
2 cloves garlic peeled and blanched
2 tbsp coarsely ground pepper
1 tbsp caraway seeds
1/2 lemon (rind, grated)
4 juniper berries
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1) Preheat the oven to 220°C.
2) Using a pestle and mortar, mash the salt, 2 cloves of blanched garlic, black pepper, caraway seeds, lemon zest, juniper berries and vegetable oil to make a paste.
3) Rub the paste well into the meat.
4) Place in an oven dish and add the shallots and garlic.
5) Roast in the oven about 40 minutes turning regularly.
6) Pour in 400 ml stock and roast for another 40 minutes. Keep basting with juices from the dish (if there's not enough liquid, add more stock).
7) Test the meat is done, when the juices run clear.
8) Remove from the oven and cover with foil and rest for about 20 minutes.
9) Add a little stock to the juice, strain, and simmer for a few minutes. Season to taste and serve with the meat along with dumplings and sauerkraut.