6g/1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
6g/1 tsp chilli powder
1 medium chicken, jointed
18g/3 garlic cloves, peeled and ground to a paste
10g fresh ginger, peeled and ground to a paste
15g/1 tbsp lemon juice
12g/2 tsp paprika
15ml/1 tbsp rapeseed oil
Salt to taste
285ml plain unsweetened yoghurt
1) With a sharp knife, make regular slits through the skin and flesh of the chicken portions. Rub with salt.
2) Mix together the chilli powder, pepper, ginger, garlic, paprika, yoghurt and lemon juice.
3) Put the chicken in a large bowl or dish and pour over the mixture, cover and set aside to marinate for at least 10-12 hours.
4) Place the chicken portions on a flameproof tray and put under a preheated grill for about 15 minutes on each side, or until cooked through, turning regularly and brushing with oil occasionally.
5) Alternatively, the chicken can be cooked in the oven;
6) Arrange the pieces on a wire stand in a baking tray and cook them in a preheated oven at 220°C, Gas 7, for 35-45 minutes, or until the juices run clear when pierced with a skewer, brushing the chicken with oil and turning to brown evenly.