1) Roughly chop half the carrots and onion.
2) To make chicken stock: In a large stock pot add the chopped carrots, onion and raw chicken.
3) Fill the pot with cold water just covering the chicken and bring to a simmer.
4) Keep an eye on the stock and skim any foam off the surface. Simmer for 60 minutes skimming as needed.
5) In the meantime, peel and chop the rest of the carrots, onion and celery.
6) When the stock is finished remove the chicken quarters and set aside to cool.
7) Strain the rest of the stock and let it rest.
8) Sauté the onion in the rapeseed oil in a medium sized saucepan until soft and translucent.
9) Add the carrots and celery and cook for 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally.
10) Add the stock (approximately 1.5-2 litres) to the soup base and season to taste. Bring to a simmer.
11) Meanwhile remove the skin and bones from the chicken and shred the large bits of meat.
12) Finally, add the shredded chicken to the soup and bring the temperature up to just below a boil.
13) Serve on its own, with crusty bread or in a bowl with cooked noodles.