To find out more about kippers click here
This British favourite is full of omega 3 and vitamin B12 and has over 50% of your recommended daily allowance for the other micronutrients below:
- Omega 3 is a fatty acid that cannot be created by our bodies so we must get it from our food. Research has shown that it may significantly reduce our risk of heart disease, stroke, Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia.
- Vitamin B12 is a water soluble vitamin essential for the duplication of DNA and works with folate and vitamin B6 to decrease our risk of heart disease and cancer. It also plays an important role in turning fats and proteins to energy.
- Selenium regenerates the activity of vitamins C and E, produces several antioxidants (cleansers) and enhances our immune system. It also protects developing sperm, making it an important mineral if you are trying for a baby.
- Vitamin D can be created by our own bodies when we expose our skin to sunlight, but during the winter it is harder to obtain making kippers an ideal food in the winter months. It is essential for our bone growth/maintenance, is vital for our nervous system and regulates our immune system enhancing immunity.
- Iodine is essential for growth, development, reproduction and metabolism and maintains normal thyroid function. The thyroid regulates growth, development, reproduction and contributes to the way our body absorbs micronutrients and gets rid of toxic substances.
RDA based on an average adult for a 150g portion