600g 2 apples cored and chopped
Black pepper to taste
32g/4 tbsp plain flour
75ml/5 tbsp rapeseed oil
400g/4 small onions, peeled and halved
280g/4 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
1.6kg boneless leg of pork
560g 8 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
Salt to taste
30ml/2 tbsp soy sauce
725ml chicken stock
8g 2 tbsp demerara sugar
650g new potatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Preheat the oven to 240°C, Gas mark 9.
2) Score the skin of the pork with a sharp knife, with lines that are about 5mm apart. Rub pepper and salt over the skin.
3) Put the pork in a 35 x 26cm roasting tin. Roast the pork for 30 minutes
4) Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the carrots, parsnips and potatoes and parboil for 5 minutes.
5) Drain the vegetables and pat dry with kitchen paper.
6) Pour 3 tablespoons of oil on a baking sheet and put on the middle oven shelf. After 5 minutes, remove the sheet , scatter the parboiled vegetables on it, season and return to the oven.
7) Turn the oven down to 190°C, Gas mark 5. Scatter the onions around the meat, drizzle 2 tablespoons of oil over them and cook everything for a further 35-45 minutes.
8) To make the apple sauce, put the apples and sugar in a medium saucepan with 2 tablespoons of water and simmer over a low heat, covered, for 10-15 minutes. Transfer to a dish to cool.
9) When the pork and vegetables are cooked, scatter the cooked onions among the other vegetables on the baking sheet and put the pork joint on top.
10) Set aside the roasting tin with the pork fat.
11) Put the baking sheet back in the oven and roast for a further 5 minutes, then turn off the oven, leave the door ajar and allow the pork to rest.
12) For the gravy, use 1 tablespoon of the pork fat, put the tin on the hob and stir in the flour. Cook for a minute or so, stirring, until the flour browns. Add the stock and soy sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
13) Serve the pork carved into slices, with crackling, the vegetables a jug of gravy and a dollop of apple sauce.