1) In a bowl mix together the onions, lemon juice, garlic & turmeric powder.
2) Add the chick pea flour and water a little at a time until all the onions are coated well. The mixture should not be a batter but should stick and hold together well.
3) Heat the vegetable oil on a medium flame or in a deep fat fryer. Once the temperature has reached around 180°C, make a loose dumpling and drop into the hot oil.
4) After a few minutes turn the bhaji over and continue to cook for a few more minutes. Remove using a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper.
5) Taste the bhajis and adjust the seasoning if required.
6) Make dumplings with the remainder of the mixture and deep fry in batches until the bhajis are cooked through.