1. Shred the cabbage and put in a large bowl.
2. Add the salt. Then with cleans hands, work the salt into the cabbage for 5 to 10 minutes. You want to loosen up the fibers in the cabbage. The cabbage will start to release its water. Don't throw this away!
3. At this point you could mix in some caraway seeds or juniper berries.
4. Tightly pack the cabbage with it's waters into a jar, pressing it down to get rid of any air. Make sure all the cabbage is under the water. Cover.
5. Leave for 3 weeks in a warm place.
7) A good portion of this is around 1oz or 30 grams and you will get around 33 portions from this recipe.