1) Heat oil and butter in a saucepan, add onions and sauté for 9-10 minutes.
2) Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in stock, and bring to the boil.
3) Add bay leaves, thyme and seasoning.
4) Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
5) Add red wine, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
6) Remove bay leaves. Pour soup into 4 flameproof bowls.
7) Cut 4 circles from the bread and place on soup. Sprinkle with cheese.
8) Place under the grill for a few minutes until cheese melts and bubbles. Serve immediately.