Simply follow our simply laid out recipe:
1) Preheat the oven to 140C/275F/Gas
2) For the lamb shanks, make three deep incisions in each shank and insert in each half an anchovy wrapped around a sprig of rosemary and a slice of garlic.
3) Season the meat with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4) Heat the butter and olive oil in a casserole, add the shanks and brown all over. Remove and set aside.
5) To the casserole, add the carrots, celery, leek, onions, garlic cloves and herbs and cook over a high heat until the vegetables are browned.
6) De-glaze the casserole by adding the red wine, scraping the residue on the bottom of the pan and stirring well.
7) Add the stock and tinned tomatoes to the casserole, place the shanks on top of the vegetables, cover and cook in the oven for two and a half hours.
8) When the lamb has finished cooking, remove the four shanks to a dish and keep warm.
9) Add the cannelloni beans and heat through.
10) Serve the sauce in bowls topped with a lamb shank.