1) Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
2) Add the carrots, onions, ⅔ of the garlic, celery and the herbs and fry gently for 5 minutes.
3) Add the wine, tomato puree and tomatoes, bring up to a boil then turn down to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
4) Add the lentils and cook for a further 15 to 20 minutes until the lentils are cooked, but with a little bite still. Season to taste.
5) Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta until al dente, about 8 - 10 minutes. Drain.
6) Melt the butter in another pan and fry the mushrooms and remaining garlic until soft.
7) Add the mushroom and pasta to the sauce and mix well.