Simply follow our simply laid out recipe:
1. Combine all ingredients, except those for the glaze, in a bag, add chicken and shake to coat wings. Leave for 4 hours or overnight in the fridge.
2. Preheat oven to 200 °C.
3. Drain excess marinade from chicken.
4. Put the wings on a baking tray with a baking rack.
5. Bake for 40 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, make the glaze.
7. Combine water, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, star anise and sugar in a large frying pan (not a saucepan or it will take much longer to reduce) and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until reduced to a sticky glaze. It thickens quickly at the very end, so watch closely so it does not burn.
8. Remove chicken from oven and add to large bowl.
9. Add glaze and toss to coat.