1) Cut the beef into chunks and place into a large bowl, cover with the red wine and marinate overnight.
2) Saute the beef chunks until lightly browned in beef dripping.
3) Add the browned beef to a large pot and cover with the red wine, add the mixed herbs and a couple of bay leaves if you like and simmer for 4 hours.
4) Saute the bacon pieces in butter along with the shallots, carrots, garlic and chopped red onions.
5) Add the sauteed bacon and veg to the beef stew and cook for a further 30 minutes.
6) At this point you can remove the meat and veg from the pot and reduce the sauce, adding butter as you go.
7) Add the meat and veg back into the sauce, bring back up to temperature and simmer for a couple of minutes.
8)Take the pot off the heat and rest the stew for 20 minutes.
9) Serve with with tagliatelle (traditional) or mash, and green beans.